Dr. Teresa Carlson
Dr. Carlson is a native of Colorado, having been raised in Wyoming, who thoroughly enjoys the Rocky Mountains and embraces the environmental challenges for ocular comfort and vision. After completing her doctorate at the University of Houston College of Optometry, Dr. Carlson returned to Colorado in 2000.
She has served as Clinical Director for two refractive/medical practices, participated in numerous FDA Clinical Trials, developed numerous treatment protocols for optimizing surgical outcomes, treated eye disease on two hospital campuses, specialized in dry eye treatments, has worked with visual challenges specific to aviation and provided emergency eye care. She serves as an adjunct professor for doctorate students and continues to lecture locally and nationally. Her passion has taken her around the world for medical eye care by volunteering for medical teams in Madagascar, Cambodia, Ecuador, Honduras, South Africa, Mali, and Mexico.
Dr. Carlson and her family enjoy running, riding horses, SCUBA diving, snow skiing, hiking, and traveling.
RESIDENCY & EXTENDED TRAINING
- 1999 – 2000 The Laser Center of Houston – Slade & Baker
- Advanced Extended Rotation
- 1999 – 2000 University of Texas Medical School: Hermann Eye Hospital – Judianne Kellaway, M.D.
- 1999 – 2000 Hermann Eye Hospital – Judianne Kellaway, M.D.
- 1999 – 2000 University of Houston – Medical Eye Service and Neuro-Ophthalmology
- 1999 – 2000 Baylor College of Medicine: Low Vision Service – Ana Perez, O.D.
- 1999 – 2000 University of Houston – Specialty Pediatric Service – Joy Rosner O.D.
- 2000 University of Houston College of Optometry
- Doctor of Optometry
- Magna Cum Laude
- Grand Rounds Honors: Refractive Stromal Implants
- University of Wyoming – Physiology/Zoology
- Senior Honor’s Program – Magna Cum Laude [May 1996]
- Diplomate, American Board of Optometry
- Colorado Optometric Association: Board of Trustees – District 7 Trustee – Denver Metro South
- Colorado Optometric Association: Legislative Key Person
- Colorado Optometric Glaucoma Society: Officer
- Colorado Optometric Association: Legislative Captain for District 7
- Colorado Optometric Association: Membership Retention Taskforce Committee Member
- Colorado Optometric Center (COC): Board Member
- Leadership Optometry
- American Optometric Association
- Optometric Council on Refractive Technology (OCRT)
- American Academy of Optometry (AAO)
- International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS)
- Illinois College of Optometry
- Adjunct Assistant Professor: 2000 – Present
- University of Houston College of Optometry
- Adjunct Assistant Professor: 2000 – 2006
- Guest Lecturer: 2002 – Present
- Bausch & Lomb Surgical Division – B&L University
- Faculty Member: 2002
Honors & Awards
- Nomination for Colorado Young Optometrist of the Year
2006 & 2009
- Nomination for Colorado State Board of Optometry
- Examiner for National Board of Optometry
2005 & 2007
- UHCO Outstanding Student for Class of 2000 – Academic and Clinical Zipper Award
- Beta Sigma Kappa National Optometric Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies
- University of Wyoming Honors Program – Senior Honor’s Thesis: “Melatonin – An Antioxidant”
Optometric Volunteer Experience
- Medical Mission Trips: Several different organizations – Madagascar, Cambodia, Ecuador, Honduras, South Africa, Mali-W.Africa, Mexico. Provided comprehensive eye exams, prescribed glasses, aided in the diagnosis and treatment of various ocular pathologies and established continuity of care for ocular surgeries.